Tuesday 18 August 2009

Turning The Reel Seat


I got a chance tonight to turn the seat for this project. A piece of Black Ash Burl that matches the ends of the grip. A 1"x1" square was first bored out to my mandrel size and mounted between two bushing which get squeezed lightly with a nut on the end.I measured the reel foot and want this spacer a little bit longer than the insert that came with it.This is the beauty of custom building as you can modify anything you like.

Diameters are turned to match measurements of hardware as most of the factory inserts come a bit "sloppy". Just ready to be parted off and finished. A soaking coat of Danish Oil to bring out the grain and then wipe off the excess. Once its dry I'll just buff it with a lint free cloth. Again this wood is stabilized so I don't have to worry about sealing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment