Monday 17 August 2009

Project Is Taking Shape

Today was a crazy day for me filling and posting orders, emailing and the like so I didn't get much time in the shop.
I did however manage to get the fighting butt done for the grip I have made and illustrated in some earlier posts.
Foam core was glued in and turned on a mandrel. As you can see the foam has been parted off leaving a small diameter which fits into the back of the reel seat hardware. Butt end is counter bored and will be plugged off with a wooden cap


Here is the button on the end of the fighting butt. Photo at 1500 rpm. I then chucked on the small dia you see and put a radius on it.

The fighting butt is dry fit
Ive decided to put it on a Cobalt Blue CTS 9' 9 weight. ive already built one of these but sold it. I liked it so much I wanted another.


A close up. next is the reel seat. Ive got a nice piece of Black Ash to match the ends of the grip.
Hopefully tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful handle. I was wondering - in regards to the overall shape of the handle, do you use a template or do you make it up as you go along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony

    Thanks for the comment. I have a basic size that I like and then just "tweak" it as I go. Usually the middle part of my grips are about 1"

    ReplyDelete