Wednesday 17 June 2009

Stabilized Wood and some Fishing!!!

Today I received some beautiful pcs of wood for inlays into my grips. Its stabilized which means it impregnated with monomers. The wood is put into a vacuum chamber so the monomers are diplaced throught the thickness of the wood.The wood will not shrink, crack or warp. Its really what you need for a fishing rod grip especially if your going to use it in the salt. In this order I got some Black Ash Burl, Maple Burl, Red Oak Burl I will be sure to post some photos of the grips and custom seats made with these pcs in the near future.






I took a break from the workshop to do some tubing with a fellow fisherman, customer and rodbuilder Colin. He took me up to Nieldricken Loch up in the Galloway hills for brownies. I didnt fair so well with a few small fish but Colin got a couple nice ones at 14" and 16". The walk in was about 1 1/2 hrs with the heavy pack filled with gear and tube strapped on your back. It was worth it though the scenerary was very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment